- Sports Job Training Courses:
- Athlete Management
- Baseball GM & Scouting
- Basketball GM & Scouting
- Coaching at the Next Level
- Cricket Business Mgmt.
- Digital Video Editing
- Football GM & Scouting
- Hockey GM & Scouting
- Mixed Martial Arts
- Motor Sports Management
- Rugby Business Mgmt
- Salary Capology
- Soccer Mgmt & Scouting
- Sports Administration
- Sports Broadcasting
- Sports Revenue Mgmt.
- Sports Jobs 101
- Sports Communications
- Letter To Hiring Personnel
- Letter To Potential Students
- Sports Mgmt Degrees
- Sports Mgmt College Credit
- Join Our Free Newsletter
- Our Staff
- Pay For Application
- Contact Us
- SMWW Career Conferences
NFL Combine Football Career Conference
at the 2013 NFL Combine
Note: If you have registered for this event, you have been sent attendee instructions. Please look in your junk file or trash to locate.
Friday and Saturday, February 22 & 23, 2013
(This year we are starting Friday night at 7pm to allow more of you to participate.)
Downtown Indianapolis, Indiana in the heart of the action at the Hyatt Regency
Anyone 18 years or older (16 & 17 with a parent or older sibling)
Sports Management Worldwide would like to invite you to join us at our Sports Career Workshop in downtown Indianapolis at the NFL Combine. This seminar provides an invaluable opportunity to learn about numerous careers in sports and network with professionals currently working at the highest level of sports. Head coaches, GMs, Directors of Player Personnel and Scouting, ESPN writers, experienced sports agents, former professional athletes and many others will be in attendance.
For anyone that is looking to work in sports, you can't miss this opportunity to meet and learn from sports executives and the SMWW staff, all in the atmosphere of the NFL Combine! Attendees will have the opportunity to learn about the behind the scenes of the upcoming NFL draft; create relationships with key individuals in the sports business community and advance their knowledge of the business of sports. If you have never been in Indianapolis around the NFL combine, you are missing an opportunity to be apart of NFL personnel's biggest events of the year.
More than 2,500 coaches, team owners and advertisers and more than 220 national journalists from across the country come to Indianapolis for seven days to meet and work out the athletes who hope to be drafted by NFL teams. Right in the heart of the action, this educational experience is an exclusive opportunity to break into the field of sports management. Don't miss it!
Most attendees are not college students but sports people looking to start or advance their career in professional or collegiate football. However, for those of you who are in college and would like transferable credits to your school, one hour of college credit is available for an additional $50 to Western Oregon University. After you register for the conference, one college credit is available here.
Several University Sports Management programs do attend. If you are interested in bringing your school, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will provide group discounts. (Most college students attend on their own.)
Click here for videos about our past Basketball and Hockey conferences. Conferences are similar, but the sport of focus and location varies. Events in summer are more casual. Indianapolis will be business casual. (Slacks and polos and sweaters.) Attendees rave about our conferences. We have a very high satisfaction rate and many returnees. Many sports business conferences are over $1,000. We keep pricing low so that those wanting to advance their careers in sports can afford to attend.
(Teams & Executives do not yet know their schedules for the NFL Combine. We put together a rough draft of the agenda for the day to give you an idea of what to expect. Speakers will changes as teams make meeting schedules and flight arrangements.)
- Mark Dominik, Tampa Bay Buccaneers General Manager
- Adam Schefter - ESPN
- Aaron Schatz, Football Outsiders & Pro Football Prospectus
- John Wooten - NFL Legend, fondly respected as the "Godfather" of the NFL
- Mark Warkentien, NBA Executive of the Year, New York Knicks Director of Player Personnel & former Denver Nuggets GM
- Dr. Lynn Lashbrook, President and Founder, Sports Management Worldwide
- Will Johnson, Pittsburgh Steelers Fullback
- Ross Weaver, Detroit Lions Defensive Back
- Russ Lande - NFL Draft Expert for GM Jr Scouting
- Mike Stoeber, Jacksonville Jaguars Video Assistant (XOS)
- Greg Hylton, Indianapolis Colts,Vice President Premium Seating & Ticket Sales
- Matt Littlefield, former NFL pro & college scout
- Josh Liskiewitz, College Scout with GM Jr Scouting & The Football Standard
- Marc Trestman, Chicago Bears Head Coach (tentative)
- Dr. Chuck Patterson, Career Planners College Consulting
- Jeff Cieply, Assistant Athletic Director for Sales at Indiana University
- Kristen Kuliga, NFL Agent (female agent representing the most NFL players)
- Leo Ezerins, Executive Director, CFL Alumni Association
- Jack Mills, NFL Agent
- Jim Solano, NFL Agent
- Kelli Masters, NFL Agent
- Tony Agnone, NFL Agent
- Steve Nash, Integrity Sports Broadcasting Network
- Mary Lee Gilliland, Madison Sports Partnerships CEO
- Dr. Lynn Lashbrook, SMWW President
- Marcus Williams, NFL Agent
- Jeff Brodie, NBA Agent & SMWW Director of Basketball
- Chase Sbicca, SMWW Student Services Director
- Liz Lashbrook, SMWW Executive Director
Rates good thru Friday, February 22, 2013
- Friday Night Welcome Reception
- Saturday Conference & Workshop sessions.
- Saturday Networking Lunch
(Conference Fee does not include meals or hotel accommodations or entrance to the NFL Combine.
Note: This year the Fritz Pollard Aliiance Reception is NOT included.)
- General Admission: $250. Onlne before Friday, February 22, 2013 click here
- College Students and Faculty: (Your university will be on your name tag. All Sports Management Worldwide Students and Alumni are included at this rate).Walk ups $200. Online only $175 before Friday, February 22nd, 2013 click here
- Team and Agency Employees Register here: (The team or agency you currently work for will be on your name tag.) Walk ups $200. Online before Friday, February 22, 2013 only $175 click here
Questions about the workshop can be directed to email@example.com
Note: This conference does not inlcude enterance to the NFL Combine which is closed to the public. For more information, visit the NFL Scouting Combine website. Speakers are subject to change and not guaranteed.
Hyatt Regency Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Downtown Indianapolis — State Capitol
One South Capitol Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46204
Rooms are still available at the Hyatt. We also encourage you to visit Priceline.com and select a hotel downtown Indianapolis for a huge savings.
Conference Sponsorships & Tables:
For those individuals interested in partnering with Sports Management Worldwide we have sponsorships available. This includes tables at the venue and promotion of your product or services. Tables start at $500 and include attendence. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Who Should Attend?
The Sports Career Conference is designed for individuals with an interest in a sports business career. Via the workshop, discussion groups and keynote speakers you will be introduced and learn in-depth about the job responsibilities of professions in the NFL, MLB, NHL, MLS, NBA, NASCAR, WNBA, and minor league sports. Attendees include business professionals wishing to break into new markets, to college students wanting to get their foot in the door to sports agents making a start! A variety of topics covering scouting, management at different levels, agents, player personnel, athletic director, sports administrator, sports marketing, endorsement deals, draft analysis, salary caps, promotions and the inner workings of behind the scenes in almost every sports business career.
- What's the Format?
You will have time to ask questions after the individual presentations or panel discussions. There will be social events and other opportunities to meet speakers, fellow attendees, and sports executives. Friday and Saturday are jam packed with speakers and opportunities to network. The Sports Career Conference is held in the headquarter hotel in the middle of all the NFL Combine action near Lucas Oil Stadium. Due to the NFL Combine schedule we are juggling speaking engagements and panels up to the last minute! Each year we have surprise visits from NFL personnel. They literally walk by our meeting rooms all day and we try to squeeze them onto panels between their meetings at the combine.
- When should I arrive?
Registration starts Friday evening at 7pm with a Welcome Reception to meet fellow attendees, SMWW Staff & Faculty, speakers and friends of SMWW. It is a great time to network and register for the conference. Saturday conference and workshop sessions are approximately every hour. We pack the day full of fabulous speakers so that you can glean as much as possible in one day.
You don't want you to miss a single opportunity! However, we do keep the event affordable so that those of you flying in and flying out can come late or leave early. Most conferences like this are in the middle of the week. We choose to offer this workshop on the weekend so that those of you working full time can attend. The format is fun, fast and enlightening. Our attendees come from all 50 states, Canada, England, and we have even had some attend from Africa and China.
- What should I wear?
Dress is business casual.
- What do Sports people say about the event:
"What a wonderful weekend I had at your Sports Career Conference! The conference was informative, enlightening, inspirational, and very educational. It was a classy event with some heavy hitters of the sports industry used as guest panelists. I cannot begin to share with you the great experience I had. Thank you is not enough, but it is well deserved. Most impressive was the number of young people who traveled from all over the country and from abroad to attend the conference. It speaks volumes about the reputation and quality of your organization."
VP, Community Relations, Memphis Redbirds (AAA) & Former MLB player
"This is the ’must attend‘ event of the year for those involved in sports management programs who truly care about experiential education, establishing networking contacts with senior level executives, and exposing students to visionary thinkers in the field of Sports Management. Few people in the world can attract this level of talent and put them in one room to share their experiences. The SMWW Career Conference is the kind of student-focused activity that will raise retention rates, career placement rates, and student satisfaction rates."
"As an Assistant Professor and Program Coordinator of the Sports Management Program, I found the SMWW conference to be informative and a great way to keep a pulse on what is going on in the sports industries, from professional sports to youth sports, from marketing to sports agency and athletic advising. The information gained and networking opportunities were endless."
Janice E. Wardle
Sports Management & Internship Coordinator
"Thank you and cheers to the entire SMWW team! The wealth of expertise you gathered across sports industries for all attendees in both panel and networking settings was truly amazing and exciting. I look forward to shaking and baking with the many sports leaders I met at the conference. I am already looking forward to the 2009 conference!"
Global 500 corporate Director and ESPN Sports Ticker Gameday Statistician
"The Sports Management Worldwide Career Conference is an great event for anyone interested in exploring the world of professional sports. They cover every aspect of professional sports including Motorsports and the importance of the technology used today. Centered in the heart of the amateur sports capitol of America and during the NFL Scouting Combine, Indianapolis is an ideal location at an ideal time for this conference."
North Dakota State University
M.S. Sport Management
"This past fall the executive committee of the undergraduate sport management club came to me with the idea that they wanted to attend the SMWW Sports Career conference. To be honest it was not the choice I would have made as their faculty advisor. To my surprise and delight, the SMWW staff provided our students with a wonderful package so that they could afford registration, meals, and lodging in downtown Indianapolis.
Over 41 students from the West Virginia University Sports Management Club attended. It was awesome! Students shared with me their excitement of meeting top level executives in the Sports field at the conference. They were overwhelmed that the conference speakers stayed around after their sessions to meet the students. Students collected many business cards and passed out their resumes to perspective employers. The word of mouth got back to WVU before we did! Students that were not able to attend were disappointed. Students are already planning to attend next year.
From my perspective it is a win-win situation. Students can only learn so much in the classroom. The value of spending three days in the same room with some of the top sport and athletic administrators in the United States is extremely valuable to these undergraduates. As one student said: "It (the conference) was worth every penny!"
D. Floyd Jones, Ph.D.
Sport Management Program
West Virginia University
2010 Speaker List including Fritz Pollard Alliance Awards Reciepients and Speakers
- Dr. Lynn Lashbrook- President and Founder Sports Management Worldwide
- Rod Graves, Arizona Cardinals GM
- John Wooten- NFL Legend & NFL Executive
- Harry Carson, NFL Legend & Fritz Pollard Alliance Executive Director
- Adam Schefter, ESPN
- Daniel Kelly, Former NY Jets Pro Scout & Current College Scout for GM Jr. Scouting
- Aaron Schatz - Football Outsiders & Pro Football Prospectus
- Chad Reuter - Senior Analyst for NFLDraftScout.com partnering with CBSSports.com
- Wes Bunting, National Football Post’s Director of College Scouting and SMWW Alumni
- Jimmy Halsell, former Salary Cap Analyst for the Washingtion Redskins
- Steve Nash, Integrity Sports Broadcasting & SMWW Faculty
- Kristen Kuliga-NFL Agent, Doug Flutie & more
- Mary Lee Gilliland, Learfield Sports, National Account Manager
- Mike Reinfeldt, Titans Executive Vice President & General Manager
- C.O. Brocato, Tennessee Titans National Supervisor of College Scouting
- Reggie McKenzie, Green Bay Packers Director of Football Operations
- Alonzo Highsmith – Green Bay Packer College Scout (Southwest)
- Craig Richardson, Fritz Pollard Alliance
- Ray Anderson, NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations
- Cyrus Mehri, Fritz Pollard Alliance
- Dutch Baughman, Executive Director of the Athletic Directors’ Association
- Bob Wallace, former St Louis Rams Executive Vice President
- Billy Bidwill, Arizona Cardinals Owner
- Will Carroll- Football Outsiders & SI.com
- Rick Horrow- Fox Sports & CNN Sports (invited)
- Mark Washo- Washington Freedom GM & SMWW Faculty
- Jack Mills- NFL Agent, 30 Year NFL Agent, clients include Eric Dickerson & many others
- Jim Solano- NFL Agent (having represent over 600 clients in 30 years)
- Jack Bechta, NFL Agent
- Daron Roberts, Detroit Lions Asst. Secondary Coach
- NFL Draft Prospects
- Kris Kovatovic- Indiana Pacers Inside Sales & Fever Sales/Service Director
- Greg Hylton- Indianapolis Colts, Vice President Premium Seating & Ticket Sales
- Russ Lande- NFL Scout/Sporting News.com and SMWW Faculty
- Chris Codero, Miami Heat Account Executive & SMWW Alumni
- Ryan Latham- Tacoma Rainiers and formerly Boston Red Sox and SMWW Alumni
- CJ Lovett, NFL Draft Prospect
- Dr. Chuck Patterson- The Ohio State University
- Joe Bonahoom- Director of Baseball, SMWW
- Dr. Gary Sailes- Indiana University Sports
- Marcus Williams- Director of Football, SMWW Agency
- Chase Sbicca- SMWW Director of Student Services
- Ben Kopca- SMWW Sports Career Advisor
- TK Kee, SMWW Director of Football Research & Scouting