2017 Basketball Career Conference in Las Vegas
July 8-9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Our annual Basketball Career Conference provides people of all ages with a desire to work in professional basketball insight and exposure they can't get anywhere else:
- Network with basketball executives
- Receive career guidance from basketball insiders
- Discover who is hiring and what you need to know to get hired
- Connect with other basketball career minded individuals
- Learn strategies to catapult your career to the next level
- Ask questions of basketball executives, scouts, media members and more
If you want to see your basketball career jump to the next level, this is the event you need to attend!
Please Note: SMWW's Career Conference is not affiliated or in any way connected with the NBA, the NBA Summer League Games, or the NBA D-League.
Why You Should Attend the 2017 Basketball Career Conference in Las Vegas
This one-day event will feature panel discussions, Q&A sessions and networking events with some of the biggest names in the world of basketball. Attendees can expect to learn more about the business of basketball including:
- Sports Marketing
- Sports Agency
- Basketball Scouting and Analytics
- Digital Video Editing
- Event Management
- Sports Communication and Media Relations
- Sports Journalism and Broadcasting
- Careers strategies and insights from basketball executives
"My understanding of the game of basketball was humbled at the SMWW Basketball Career Conference," says attendee Anthony Alexander. "I learned so much from all the speakers and staff, I can't even comprehend it. My confidence is at an all-time high, because SMWW taught me so much about the game I love. I advise anyone who intends to work in sports to go to this conference, and any others offered by SMWW!"
If you want to start a career in basketball or advance your current one, attending the Basketball Career Conference is the move you need to make. Find out who is hiring and for what roles, network with basketball executives, and learn strategies to catapult your career to the next level.
"Our Basketball Career Conference provides an invaluable opportunity for attendees to learn about careers in professional basketball while networking with some of the biggest names in the industry," says Dr. Lynn Lashbrook, President of Sports Management Worldwide.
Past conference speakers have included team executives like the Chicago Bulls Gar Forman and media members like ESPN insiders Marc Stein and Amin Elhassan, scouts, personnel executives and many more experts from the world of basketball.
"All of the speakers and staff were knowledgeable and answered questions with great insight and experience," says attendee Jarrod Lindsay. "To be surrounded by so many influential names in the world of basketball left me feeling extremely motivated. What a great event to network and learn!"
Basketball careers start with Sports Management Worldwide, and our annual Basketball Career Conference is a great way to get introduced to the people behind the scenes that make the game great.
Information about the 2017 Basketball Career Conference:
Conference sessions are held at:
University of Las Vegas Campus
Stan Fulton Building
4505 S. Maryland Pkwy
Las Vegas, NV 89154
(Located on the corner of Swenson Street and Flamingo Road)
Games are held at:
Thomas & Mack Center
Located on the campus of the
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
(Note: We recommend the single day pass)
The 2016 agenda is provided as an example of what to expect in 2017. Information will be updated as it becomes available.
Friday, July 8th, 2016
Welcome Reception (optional)
Come network with basketball executives, SMWW staff and other basketball conference attendees. Our welcome receptions are always a great time. Everyone there is excited about the career conference, learning from each other and sharing a few adult beverages.
It's optional…but you really shouldn't miss it!
Saturday, July 9th, 2016
Conference sessions will take place on the campus of UNLV and cover a wide range of topics including sports marketing, agency, basketball scouting and analytics, digital video editing, event management, media relations, journalism and broadcasting.
Basketball Games are being played at the Thomas & Mack and Cox Pavillion. Tickets can be purchased at the door for all day.
I learned so much at the 2015 SMWW Basketball Career Conference, it was a great experience and an amazing opportunity to network. Being able to interact with professional personnel and team decision makers was inspiring and educational. I feel the knowledge I acquired will lead directly to a sports career. Thank you SMWW!
- Tara Iguidbashian, University of San Diego
These are some of the options off the strip and within walking distance to UNLV - the host of the Conference and Games.
Embassy Suites Las Vegas
4315 Swenson Street, Las Vegas
Hyatt Place Las Vegas
4520 Paradise Road, Las Vegas
Silver Sevens Hotel and Casino
4100 Paradise Road, Las Vegas
Hard Rock Hotel and Casino
4455 Paradise Road, Las Vegas
La Quinta Inn and Suites
3970 Paradise Road, Las Vegas
Tuscany Suites and Casino
255 E Flamingo Road
Registration: Currently Closed. Please Check Back Soon.
(This event is limited to the first 145 and will sell out fast!)
Conference Registration includes:
- Name badge & credentials
- Registration packet
- All conference sessions,
- Saturday Networking Lunch
- Friday Night Welcome Reception
General Admission: $TBA
Student Admission: $TBA
** Please note, conference fee does not include hotel accommodations
Walk-up registrations will not be accepted. Please register online in advance.
Past Speakers (2017 speakers to be announced at a later date)
Speakers are not guaranteed. We are constantly making speaker additions.
Keep coming back to this agenda to see the most recent additions all the way up to draft day!
Past Speakers Have Included
- AJ Mitnick - Maccabi Rishon Lezion Coach and Head Scout and International Basketball Columnist for Sheridanhoops.com
- Alexis Levi, First African American Woman GM of Men's Pro Basketball Team
- Amin Elhassan – NBA Analyst, Writer for ESPN.com
- Beth Hancock, Portland Trail Blazers Executive Asst.
- Bret Kanis – NBA Agent
- Brian Hagan, Chicago Bulls Asst. GM
- Brian Wheeler - Portland Trail Blazers Radio Play-By-Play
- Bruce O'Neil, United States Basketball Academy
- Bryan Gates- New Orleans Pelicans Summer League Head Coach
- Carl Berman - Net Scouts Basketball Managing Director
- Chad Buchanan – Portland Trail Blazers Director of College Scouting
- Chris Denker - Net Scouts Basketball Director of Scouting
- Chris Silva, Oklahoma City Thunder Web Content Manager
- Daryl Reshaw, Eurobasket Director
- Dave Babcock – Milwaukee Bucks Director of Player Personnel
- David Griffin - Cleveland Cavaliers General Manager
- David Kahn – Minnesota Timberwolves President of Basketball Operations
- David Mondress, BDA Sports Agency VP
- Dean Oliver, Author of Basketball on Paper & Stats Analyst Legend
- Debbie Spander, Wasserman Media Group VP of Broadcasting
- Dr. Lynn Lashbrook – President and Founder, Sports Management Worldwide
- Dr. Jim Krause – Former Division 1 Coach & Basketball Author
- Ed Gregory - Former NBA front Office Executive, SMWW Faculty
- Frank Burlison – Basketball Scout and Analyst, SMWW Faculty
- Gar Forman, Chicago Bulls GM
- Irving Roland – Phoenix Suns Player Development Coach
- James Kerti, Basketball Scout & HoopsThink.com
- Jan Wieland – FIBA Agent & International Basketball Expert
- Jeff Morander - Executive VP of Ticket Sales, NHL & NBA teams
- Jim Kelly - Dallas Mavericks Scout
- Jim Paxson – Chicago Bulls Director of Basketball Operations
- Joel Abelson - Sacramento Kings Summer League Head Coach
- Joel Corry - NBA Capologist & CBS Writer for CBSSports.com
- John Ross, Portland Trail Blazers, Asst. Video Coordinator
- Josh Url, Synergy Sports Technology
- Keith Glass – Longtime Agent for NBA Players
- Kevin Arnovitz, ESPN Truehoop
- Loretta Abrams – President of Women's American Basketball Association
- Marc Berman – New York Post, Covers the New York Knicks
- Marc Isenberg, Author of Money Players
- Marc Stein – Senior NBA Writer, ESPN
- Mark Warkentien - New York Knicks Director of Player Personnel
- Michael Born, Portland Trail Blazers, Director of NBA Scouting
- Paul Epstein, Los Angeles Clippers Sales Manager
- Raman Sposato, Detroit Pistons Video Coordinator
- Scotty Stirling, Sacramento Kings Head Scout
- Solly Laniado, Sports Attorney, Tel Aviv, Israel represents Omri Caspi
- Steve Banks, NBA Agent
- Tina Kunzer-Murphy, UNLV Athletic Director
- Tom McCarthy, Beijing International Group
- Tony Luftman - Host on CBS Sports Network
2016 SMWW Basketball Career Conference Agenda
Friday, July 8th
7:30pm-9:30pm Networking Welcome Reception Hofbrauhaus
off the Las Vegas strip
Saturday, July 9th
LOCATION: Stan Fulton Building on UNLV Campus:
Corner of E Flamingo Road and Swenson Street Parking Lot "T"
8:00am Registration opens (Bagels & Coffee)
8:45am Welcome & Opening Remarks with Dr. Lynn Lashbrook, SMWW President
9:00am From Coach, Scout, DPP, to VP in the NBA
Dave Babcock, Milwaukee Bucks Vice President of Player Personnel
10:00am Inside with ESPN Insiders
Amin Elhassan, ESPN NBA Analyst
Ethan Strauss, ESPN Writer
11:00am Special Guest Speaker
12:00pm Networking Lunch (lunch provided)
1:00pm Keynote Speaker: It's Not Who You Know, It's Who Knows You
Mark Warkentien, New York Knicks Director of Pro Player Personnel, SMWW Faculty
2:00pm How to Break Into Pro Basketball via Scouting and the Video Department
Bill Pope, Sacramento Kings NBA Advance Scout
Nick Mazzella, NBA D-League Los Angeles D-Fenders General Manager, SMWW Alumni
Mike Shedd, Dallas Mavericks Head Video Coordinator and Scout
Herb Livsey, Denver Nuggets Scout
3:00pm Inside the Numbers with Basketball Analytics Pioneer Dean Oliver
Dean Oliver, Pioneer of Basketball Analytics, SMWW Faculty
3:45pm Inside the Game of Representing Athlete
David Mondress, BDA Sports Management NBA Agent
Joel Corry, Former NBPA and NFLPA Agent, SMWW Faculty
Bret Kanis, Hightower Law Firm Attorney, NBPA Player Agent
4:45pm Closing Remarks with Adam Klimek
Scholarships Are Available
SMWW will award a limited amount of full and partial scholarships for each SMWW Career Conference. You must be 18 years or older to be considered. If interested, fill out an application, submit your resume and a one-page letter explaining why you should receive a scholarship to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarships do not include lodging or airfare. Those who have completed an SMWW training program will be given preference.