- Sports Job Training Courses:
- Athlete Management
- Baseball GM & Scouting
- Basketball GM & Scouting
- Coaching at the Next Level
- Cricket Business Mgmt.
- Digital Video Editing
- Football GM & Scouting
- Hockey GM & Scouting
- Mixed Martial Arts
- Motor Sports Management
- Rugby Business Mgmt
- Soccer Mgmt & Scouting
- Sports Administration
- Sports Broadcasting
- Sports Revenue Mgmt.
- Sports Media & Comm
- Letter To Hiring Personnel
- Letter To Potential Students
- Sports Mgmt Degrees
- Join Our Free Newsletter
- Our Staff
- Pay For Application
- Contact Us
- SMWW Career Conferences
Winter Meetings Baseball Career Conference
Baseball Career Conference
December 8-9, 2013
NOTE: If you have paid for this conference you should have received email instructions. Please look in your junk or trash for email. If you did not receive instructions email Liz@smww.com
The 2013 SMWW Baseball Career Conference will be held in Orlando, Florida. This conference is to gain valuable insight into a variety of careers from those working at all levels in baseball including MLB and the minor leagues. Today, 20 minor baseball leagues operate with 246 member clubs in large, medium, and small towns, as well as the suburbs of major cities, across the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, and Venezuela.
This day long career conference offers unique panel discussions and question-answer periods designed to start or advance your career on the business of baseball. The day will be split up into diverse speaker panels; including scouting, marketing, management, media, public relations, digital video editing, athlete representation, broadcasting, and sports career strategies.
Simply put, if you are looking to work in baseball, this is a must attend event.
Welcome Reception (optional)
LAKE BUENA VISTA ALE HOUSE
12371 Winter Garden Vineland Road
Orlando, Florida 32836Phone: (407) 239-1800
Conference Sessions - see agenda below.
Note: Monday after the conference at 5:30pm transportation will be provided from the Baseball Career Conference hotel to the Winter Meetings Hotel.
(More added daily. See 2013 Agenda below for example)
- John Schuerholz, President Atlanta Braves
- Cory Schwartz, MLB Advanced Media Vice President, Stats
- Dan Evans, Toronto Blue Jays Scout, Former LA Dodgers GM
- Rob Neyer, SB Nation National Baseball Editor & well known baseball author
- Tony DeMacio, Director Scouting Atlanta Braves
- Toney Howell, Special Assistant GM LA Dodgers
- Ari Kaplan, Ariball President - leading figure in sports analytics
- Oscar Suarez, MLB Agent
- Hector Gomez, MLB Agent
- Joe Favorito, Sports Publicity & Marketing Consultant
- Bobby Evans, San Francisco Giants, Dir. of Player Personnel
- Alyson Footer, National Correspondent MLB.com
- Sal Artiaga, Former President of Minor League Baseball
- Dr. Jose Goyos, Ph.D. L.C.S.W. Kansas City Royals Sports Psychologist
- Tom Giordano, Special Assistant GM Texas Rangers
- Scott Akasaki, Los Angeles Dodgers Travel Director
- Maury Brown, Founder and President of The Biz of Baseball
- Larry D'Amato, Former MLB Scout
- Tony Ciccolella, MLB Agent, SMWW Agency Dir. of Baseball
- Ryan Latham, Sports Risk Mgr. formerly with Red Sox & Mariners
- Mark Smith, Oakland A's Minor League Video Coordinator
- Chuck Patterson, SMWW Sports Career Counselor
- Ted Curtis, Esq. Lynn University, Department of Sports Management
- Dr. Lynn Lashbrook, SMWW President and Founder
- ...More Added Daily!
Note: Speakers are not guaranteed and will change. The closer we get to the date, the more speakers will know their team meeting schedules.
SMWW Baseball Conference sessions take place at the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort in Orlando, Florida. This is near the Winter Meetings Headquarters Hotel, the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort, in Orlando, Florida, host of the 112th Baseball Winter Meetings. With baseball executives and representatives from Major League Baseball, Minor League Baseball, as well as international baseball convening in one setting to discuss the game, network and prepare for the upcoming season, Orlando will become the center of the baseball universe.
Anyone 16 years or older working on the business side of baseball or wanting to work in baseball!
Networking Opportunities: One of the advantages of this conference is the ability to network within the industry with fellow baseball minded indviduals. Some work for a team, others are looking to break into the industry. Following their presentations, most speakers chat one on one with attendees. Most attendees come alone, but make many new friends, and peers within the industry. And they return year after year!
"The SMWW event is the best learning experience of the year for understanding how the entire baseball market works,” said Kaplan, “I enjoy hearing from a broad spectrum of presenters including executives, Front Office workers, scouts, players, agents, marketing, media. I've worked in MLB for 20 years and find this event fresh and unique." Ari Kaplan, well known Moneyball Analyst for MLB Teams
To provide members of the sports industry with an opportunity to work with and learn from leading industry experts regarding the representation of athletes and the challenges of operating professional teams, leagues, facilities and media outlets.
- 2013 SMWW Baseball Career Conference a World Class Event
- 2012 Baseball Career Conference
- "Inside the Baseball Winter Meetings" by Maury Brown, Biz of Baseball
- Jamie Olson, attendee at the 2009 Baseball Career Conference
- The GM Perspective who attended the 2011 Conference
For those of you who have never experienced the Winter Baseball Meetings, it is fascinating! Executives from all 30 Major League Baseball organizations attend, as well as more than 160 Minor League Baseball teams. This event is the major baseball event of the year. GMs, player agents, executives, managers, and yes, a few players all attend. It’s an event worth attending if you are looking to network, report on the signings and trades that go down, or for fans to feel the energy and excitement. Where else can you have Tommy Lasorda, Bill James, Frank Robinson, Scott Boras, Bob DuPuy, Billy Beane, and Bobby Cox all within 20 feet of each other? (As reported by Maury Brown) There’s also trainers, scouts, media, reps from the leagues, ESPN, Baseball America, MLB Network, MLB.com...it is a plethora of baseball who’s who. Attending the SMWW Baseball Conference and walking around will be enough for most of you, but for those who want more, read here.
Note: Monday evening following the conference, transportation will be provided for all SMWW participants to the Winter Meetings Headquarters Hotel, the Swan and Dolphin Resort, in Orlando, Florida, host of the Baseball Winter Meetings
Conference Fees: (REGISTRATION NOW AVAILABLE!)
Conference Registration Includes: Registration includes name badge, registration packet, all conference sessions, Monday Networking Lunch, Sunday Night Welcome Reception, Monday night transportation to the Winter Meeting headquartert hotel, and great networking!
- College Students, SMWW Alumni, and Faculty click here: $200
(Your university will be on your name tag)
- Team and Agency Employees click here: $200
(Your team or agency will be on your name tag)
Baseball Career Conference Hotel:
All conference sessions, Networking Lunch, and Welcome Reception will be held at the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort. Room nights are greatly discounted for SMWW attendees. Register for the conference first and then book your room early here. (Only $99 a night for 2 Queen beds!) Click here to reserve your room at the SMWW discount!
12205 S. Apopka Vineland Rd.
Orlando, FL 32836
407-239-0444 / 800-423-3297
· Newly renovated
· 2 onsite full-service restaurants & bars – Over 50 restaurants within walking distance including many of the top local sports bars (Ale House, Buffalo Wild Wings).
· Daily activities on the patio by the pool bar including corn hole competition, ladder golf, football punt competition, ping pong & more – win great prizes like free drinks!
· Included free for all overnight resort guests: onsite self-parking, wireless internet, 24-hour full gym, business center, access to all onsite amenities
· Located 1/8 of a mile from the entrance to the Walt Disney Resort, less than 1.5 miles to Downtown Disney – complimentary transportation to the 4 main theme parks
· Monday after the conference from 6pm - 10pm transportation will be provided from the Baseball Career Conference hotel to the Winter Meetings Hotel.
SMWW Airport Shuttle Discount:
Airport Transportation to and from Orlando International Airport (MCO) and Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort:
All SMWW attendees receive a discount off roundtrip shared ride shuttle service to and from the airport courtesy of SuperShuttle Orlando using discount code SMWWC. Exclusive Sedans, SUVs, and Vans are available (rates vary). Click here to book your transportation or call 1-800-258-3826. (Only $32 round trip!)
Enjoy an average high temperature of 73 degrees in December. Orlando is home of Walt Disney World including Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon, Downtown Disney in addition to Universal Studios, Sea World and the NBA Orlando Magic.
STILL curious? We have videos available about our past conferences. We get rave reviews, and conference attendees keep coming back!