Soccer Career Conference
Sports Career Conference held during the MLS SuperDraft & NSCAA Convention
Los Angeles, California - January 12-13, 2017
Experience the heart of the action and mix and mingle with some of the most prominent names on the soccer landscape by attending the SMWW Sports Career Conference held in conjunction with the MLS SuperDraft. Attendees at this conference consist of club owners, front office personnel, league officials, agents, coaches, and just about anyone from the business side of the game nationally and internationally.
The SMWW Soccer Career Conference is your opportunity to gain valuable insight into a variety of careers from those working at the highest level in soccer! This two day career conference offers unique panel discussions and question-answer periods designed to start or advance your career on the business of soccer. The day will be split up into diverse speaker panels; including sports business, athlete representation, scouting, broadcasting, media.
January 12-13, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Anyone 18 years or older wanting to work or currently working on the business side of the sports industry. Conference has an emphasis on soccer.
2017 Conference Fee will include:
- Complimentary entrance to the NSCAA Exhibit Hall. The Exhibit Hall at the NSCAA Convention is the nation's largest soccer-specific trade show. With approximately 300 companies on hand, attendees can examine the latest soccer-related technology and equipment. This is billed at the Largest Soccer Trade Show in North America.
- For those attendees interested in arriving early, the MLS SuperDraft entrance will be arranged. Thursday, January 12th, 2017 from approximately 12noon-5pm
- All SMWW Soccer Career Conference Sessions on Friday, January 13th from approximately 8am-6pm. (Meet Agents, Scouts, Analysts, Media)
- SMWW Networking social at local Sports Bar on Thursday, January 12th, from 8pm-10pm. (Beverages at your own expense.)
- Name Badge & Registration packet
- Access to the National Women's Soccer League College Draft on Friday, January 13th, 2017.
(Conference Fee does not include meals, hotel accommodations, or the NSCAA Convention)
Click here to register now:
Experience the Heart of the Action!
- Network with soccer executives in the MLS, EPL, NWSL, and NASL
- Career guidance from well know soccer executives
- Insights on who is doing the hiring and what you need to know to get hired
- Connect with soccer business career minded individuals
- Mentors who have been where you are and want to assist you with your career
- Insider information to changes in the industry that put your career on the fast track
- Strategies to catapult your career to the next level
Networking Opportunities: One of the advantages of this conference is the ability to network within the soccer industry. Attendees work for teams, others are looking to break into the industry. Most attendees come alone, but make many new friends, and peers within the industry. And they return year after year!
Several University Sports Management programs do attend. If you are interested in bringing your group of any kind, please contact email@example.com and we provide group discounts for 3-40. (Most individuals attend on their own.)
What is the NSCAA Convention and NSCAA Convention Exhibit Hall?
The National Soccer Coaches Association of America hosts the World's Largest Annual Gathering of Soccer Coaches each year. The NSCAA Convention draws approximately 4,000 coaches from their 30,000-plus members, and more than 10,000 attendees over five days. Registration to the SMWW Soccer Careeer Conference includes enterance to the NSCAA Exhibit Hall which showcases more than 300 soccer businesses covering 600,000 square feet, making it The Largest Soccer Trade Show in North America. This is for great education on all the opportunities within the soccer industry.
The 2017 MLS SuperDraft conducted by Major League Soccer (MLS) held at the NSCAA Convention on Thursday, January 12th, 2017. More information about the draft here. SMWW reserves seats for attendees at the draft so we can all sit together. Experience the MLS Draft live and in person! See executives make their trades and picks in person. Watch as fans cheer, boo, heckle, and chant as the picks are made.
The National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) College Draft is Friday, Jan. 13, 2017 at the NSCAA Convention.The NWSL College Draft is an annual event which takes place in January of each year when ten NWSL teams select players who are in their senior season in college or have exhausted their college eligibility. The draft is composed of four rounds. Draft order is determined by the final regular season standings.
Most attendees are not college students but sports people looking to start or advance their career in professional or collegiate sports. However, for those of you who are in college and would like transferable credits to your school, one hour of college credit will be available.
SMWW will award a limited amount of full and partial scholarships for each SMWW Career Conference. You must be 18 years or older to be considered. If interested, fill out an application and submit your resume and one page letter explaining why you should receive a scholarship to StudentServices@smww.com.
Scholarships do not include lodging or airfare. Those who have completed an SMWW training program will be given preference.
2016 SOCCER CAREER CONFERENCE AGENDA
Note: This is the 2016 agenda provided as a sample for 2017. Agendas will vary but speakers and panels will be similar. MLS has league meetings and team meetings which will not be announced until just prior to this event. A 2017 agenda will be distributed one week prior to the event. We reccommend you do not wait for an agenda to register.
11am-3pm Attend the MLS Draft
Baltimore Convention Center
5pm-7pm Registration Open
Baltimore Marriott Inner Harbor at Camden Yards
6pm-9pm NSCAA Convention Exhibit Hall Grand Opening
Baltimore Convention Center (Tickets included with registration)
8pm-10pm Networking at the Pratt Street Ale House
Meet SMWW President Dr. Lashbrook, Timbers Scouts, and SMWW Staff.
Baltimore Marriott Inner Harbor at Camden Yards
8am-3pm Registration opens:
Baltimore Marriott Inner Harbor at Camden Yards (Pick up your name badge, ticket for NSCAA Exhibit Hall and Prat Street Ale House drink ticket
8:00am PRE-GAME (Registration Opens and Morning Coffee)
8:25am KICK-OFF (Opening Remarks)
Dr Lynn Lashbrook – SMWW President & Founder
8:30am CREATING A WINNING MENTALITY
Gavin Wilkinson – GM Portland Timbers, 2015 MLS Cup Champion
9:15am SELLING & MARKETING SOCCER
Bryant Pfieffer, MLS Vice President, Club Services
Roy A. Tewell III, D.C. United Vice President, Ticket Sales and Service
10:00am Networking Break
10:30am SOCCER AGENCY IN THE US & WORLDWIDE
David Ross-Williamson – Willemlaw
John Print – SMWW Agency
Justin Stone – Stone Sports Management
11:30am HALF-TIME (Networking Lunch at Round Tables with a Sports Executives)
1pm NEW DAWN – ANALYTICS IN SOCCER
Richard Trafford – Wyscout
Oliver Gage – Performance Analyst, Houston Dynamo
Angus Mcnab – Perform Group
2pm SOCCER MEDIA
Tommy Smyth – ESPN
Brooke Tunstall – America Soccer Now
3pm GROWTH OF SOCCER SCOUTING
Matt Martin - Portland Timbers Director of Domestic Scouting
Ricky Clarke - Atlanta Silverbacks Director of Scouting & Player Recruitment
Scott Rezendez - Sporting KC Domestic Scout
4pm FINAL WHISTLE
Closing Remarks -Dr Lynn Lashbrook – SMWW President & Founder
- Keir Radnedge - well known journalist, WorldSoccer, and broadcaster
- Sky Andrew - Sports Agent (Clients include: Alex Dowsett, Sol Campbell, and Chris Robshaw.)
- Aidan Mullally - Tottenham Hotspur Head of Business Development
- Tommy Smyth, ESPN Soccer Analyst
- Tom Fox - Aston Villa Chief Executive
- Tom Glick, MLS New York City FC President
- Dr. Lynn Lashbrook - Sports Management Worldwide President
- Jordan Garbutt, Prozone Head of UK Professional Services
- Darren Eales - Tottenham Hotspur Director of Football Administration
- Colin Gordon - Key Sports Management Licensed Player Agent by the FA
- Simon Farrant, Opta Sports - Marketing
- Paul Molesworth - English Football League Chief Scout
- John Print - SMWW Director of UK Operations & Licensed FA Player Agent
- Charles Bruner – Arsenal FC Premium Sales Manager
- Steve Simmons, Aston Villa European Scout
- John Guppy, Gilt Edge Soccer Marketing Founder and former President & CEO of MLS Chicago Fire
- Tony Farrell, Head of International Football with Everton FC
- Mark Lisi - Sports Marketing Consultant and Player Agent, former MLS Player
- Matt Martin, MLS Timbers Director of Domestic Scouting/Regional Scout
- Tom Veit, President of Philadelphia Union
- Chris Canetti, Chief Operating Officer of Huston Dynamo
- Greg Cotton, Chief Operating Officer & General Counsel of Kansas City Wizards
- Brian Wellman, President of Carolina RailHawks FC
- Richard Tratford, Wyscout
- Jim Risher, Executive Director of Eurotech Soccer Academies and Tours
- Tim Regan, Indy 11 Head Coach
- Mark Washo, General Manager and President of Washington Freedom
- Shawn McGee, General Manager of Atlanta Beat
- Louise Waxler, Associate General Manager of Philadelphia Independence
- Alex Kotler, Founder of Football Partnerships
- Cara Joftis, Vice President of Marketing, Philadelphia Union
- Mike Quarino, Vice President Ticket Sales and Fan Services of Philadelphia Union
- Rich Searls, Director of Sales and Fan Services of New York Red Bulls
- Steve Powell, Senior Vice President Business Development of Houston Dynamo
- Brian Bilello, Chief Operating Officer, New England Revolution
- Blake Wooster, Head of Business Development, Prozone Sports
- Mark Gress, Co-Op Coordinator, Business Administration & Sports Management, Drexel University