- Sports Job Training Courses:
- Athlete Management
- Baseball GM & Scouting
- Baseball Umpire
- Basketball GM & Scouting
- Coaching at the Next Level
- Cricket Business Mgmt.
- Digital Video Editing
- Football GM & Scouting
- Hockey GM & Scouting
- Mixed Martial Arts
- Motor Sports Management
- Rugby Business Mgmt
- Salary Capology
- Soccer Mgmt & Scouting
- Sports Administration
- Sports Broadcasting
- Sports Business Mgmt.
- Sports Jobs 101
- Sports Communications
- Letter To Hiring Personnel
- Letter To Potential Students
- Sports Mgmt Degrees
- Sports Mgmt College Credit
- Join Our Free Newsletter
- Our Staff
- Pay For Application
- Contact Us
- SMWW Career Conferences
Sports Jobs 101
This 8-week online sports management course introduces you to the opportunities in sports business. You will finish the course with a personalized game plan of success that carves the path for you in the fast growing sports industry. Sports jobs start here. (High School Sports Management may receive college credit.)
Personalized advice on which sports career you should pursue.
Learn first hand from experts working in sports.
Make a game plan for your goal of working in sports.
Live Audio Chat Guest Speakers:
Discussion is interactive every Tuesday for one hour based on your time zone.
Time Zones: 5:00 PM PDT, 6:00 PM MDT, 7:00 PM CDT, 8:00 PM EDT
Course starts the week of January 14th, 2013
January 15, 2013:
Dr. Lynn Lashbrook, Sports Management Worldwide President
"What's your Passion?"
January 22, 2013:
Mark Warkentien - New York Knicks Director of Pro Personnel
2009 NBA Executive of the Year
"Secret to Success in Sports"
January 29, 2013:
Adam Schefter - ESPN NFL Insider
"Overcoming Obstacles to finding a Dream Job in Sports"
February 5th, 2013:
Mark Washo, Playbook Management International,
"Breaking into Sports"
February 12, 2013:
Jay Miller -Texas Rangers Exec. Vice President
"Starting in the Minors leads to the Majors"
February 19, 2013:
Harry Sinden, former Boston Bruin GM & Hockey Legend
"Skate your way to a Career in Sports"
February 26, 2013:
Rodney Knox - NIKE Communications Director
"Stepping into Sports Jobs with NIKE"
March 5, 2013:
Tom Weisenbach, Indiana Motorsports Association
"Putting your Sports Career in the Fast Lane"
(Note: Speakers are subject to change.)
This 8 week online sports job training course will introduce you to the challenges and excitement of every sports career path around the globe. If you love sports, but you just don’t know which career path is right for you, this 8 week course will answer those questions. Don’t get a degree in Sports Management only to find out later that wasn’t the best choice. Don’t waste anymore time working in a dead end job, counting the hours until you can get off to watch ESPN. This career planning course will teach you how to make your dream sports job come true. You will finish with a game plan for a career you are passionate about. The saying goes, do what you love and the money will follow...but where do you start?
There are so many variety of sports jobs. Should you be a sports agent, or sports broadcaster? Would your personality be better suited to working in collegiate sports or professional sports? They all sound good, but they are very different and the road to success for each career is very different. This course will give you the skills and strategies to enter the sports business world with confidence.
Whether you want your office to include an ice rink, football field, or gymnasium, this course will help you determine which sports career is the best fit for you. You will finish the course with a complete understanding of all your options in sports business. You will have experience and references for your resume. You will be able to intellectually discuss sports business in a job interview. And most importantly, you will finish the course with a personalized game plan for success.
- The specifics of a wide variety of sports careers including Sports Agent, Scout, GM, Athletic Director, Sports Broadcasting, Compliance Officer, Sales & Marketing, Event Planning, League Management, Sports Commissions, Player Associations, Bowl Game Management, Game Day Operations, Digital Video Editing, Finance & Accounting, Sports Law, Media, and many more.
- Determining the best sports career path for your personality and passion
- Challenges of the minor leagues versus major leagues
- The pros and cons of working in collegiate sports versus professional sports
- Opportunities working for sanctioning bodies, non-profits, foundations, and governing bodies
- Sports Management Education choices
- Finding your passion point
Who should take this course?
- Anyone who wants to research the variety of sports careers and be confident they are choosing the right one
- College students who want to work in sports business and are unsure of which sports job to pursue
- High school students who want to get ahead of the game and pick the right major and the right school for their career path
- High School teachers who want to start Sports Management Programs at their school
- College Career Advisors who would like to be better equipped to assist their students with the sports job hunt
- Quite honestly, if you can’t decide if you want to be a Sports Agent, Athletic Director, coach or Sports Broadcaster...then this is the course for you!
This course will answer questions for you such as:
- Should I consider law school?
- How do I get on the fast track to being the youngest GM in history?
- Do I need a bachelors, masters or doctorate?
- Is it too early to start a career as a Sports Agent and building a clientele?
- Am I too young? Am I too old? What steps should I take to work for my favorite team?
- Which sports job would suit me best based on my background, education, and personality type?
- How much money will I make in each career path?
- Which jobs are easy to get? Which jobs are hard to get?
- I am a woman, does that make it easier or harder for me to advance?
- Where are the best internships? How do I get them?
- 8 weeks of online education (Course starts the week of January 14th, 2013
- 8 hours (one hour each week) of online interactive live audio chats with fellow students and sports executives (See list above)
- Personality profile to determine which sports career you will be most satisfied and successful
- Job shadow, informational interview, and/or volunteer work in the field you are most interested
- Weekly readings with weekly quizzes (don’t worry they are fun!)
- Weekly Discussion Board postings to share what you are learning about the careers you are most interested
- Final exam – open book
- Final Project which includes your 5 year plan to get where you want to be
- Short term goals & Long term goals
- The keys to succeed in sports business
- Text books and headset/microphone included
- You must have access to the internet and a personal email to participate in this course
- You must be 16 years or older to be considered for acceptance
Dr. Lynn Lashbrook, President and Founder of SMWW, has over forty years of combined experience as an educator, NCAA Coach, NCAA Athletic Director and is currently a registered NFL agent. Dr. Lashbrook manages the SMWW Agency representing over 400 Agents and hundreds of athletes worldwide. With a career that includes 75 NFL clients from 1st rounders to free agents, Dr. Lashbrook has hand on experience and active interaction in all sports with professional teams, collegiate teams, non profit sports organizations and governing bodies. Because he is still in the industry, his teaching is up-to-the-minute and addresses the issues in professional sports today. Dr. Lashbrook emphasizes integrity and ethics in his curriculum and weekly interactive audio chats. You will love his motivational style and his passion to assist you with finding your dream sports job. Click here for more information on Dr. Lashbrook.
Weekly Audio Chats - A unique aspect of each 8-week course is the opportunity for students to participate weekly in interactive audio chats with fellow students, Dr. Lashbrook, and renowned guest speakers. This is a tremendous opportunity to network within the professional and collegiate sports industry and get to know your instructors and fellow students personally via the Internet. This allows ample opportunity to network, ask questions, and discuss aspects of the course openly with instructors and fellow classmates. This is available via any online computer with a microphone. If you are unable to attend the chats, they are archived and you can listen at a more convenient time.
Online Education - This innovative academic course is facilitated through a Web-based educational delivery system. You will enjoy the online discussion boards, weekly readings, weekly quizzes, course projects, and interaction amongst fellow sports business-minded students and faculty. The course content is the foundation to a successful sports career.
Global Participation - SMWW students participate from over 125 countries. Courses have a international influence and instructors will cater assignments to specific countries or leagues.
Earn University Credit: For high school students or college students you may take this course for up to three college credits. Click here for more information.
Tax Write Off -(For USA Citizens) SMWW course tuition, books and supplies can be used for education tax credits. Save your receipts and consult with your tax advisor on how this applies to you.